Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

WE have a Volvo V70 and found on return trip that there was

Customer Question

WE have a Volvo V70 and found on return trip that there was oil in the expansion water resevoir.There is no drop off in performance, temperature guage reading mid point OK, no water out of exhaust, no water on engine oil dip stick.
Local garage informed us that it was the oil cooler leaking. Renewed oil cooler etc. they flushed system and replenish oil etc.
Ran engine, temperature ok but after a while oil appeared in water again - maybe residue.
Drove on a long distance - engine temperature ok in town once on motorway - 70mph - temperature indicator dropped, back to normal (mid point ) in town.Car performed ok throughout but when stopped electric fan ran for over 10 minutes.
Was the oil cooler the fault and do we just need to keeping flushing system until all oil is out ?
Cheers
Doug Robson
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.

enesd : Hello and welcome to Justanswer.com my name is Enes I'm a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try to help you find the help you need .
enesd : Oil can enter from engine oil cooler to mix oil with coolant repair is to replace engine oil,cooler
enesd : If you car is auto trans your cooling oil for transmission runs thru main radiator now radiator can fail let oil mix with coolant also so those two areas as most common to go bad
enesd : pother area would be engine cylinder head what is very expensive head gasket can crack and leaks low en
enesd : mix coolant with engine oil
JACUSTOMER-qvpq4zo8- :

Local garage has replaced oil cooler should they now look at the radiator as my Volvo is an automatic ?

JACUSTOMER-qvpq4zo8- :

Hello are you still there ?

JACUSTOMER-qvpq4zo8- :

Could have got same answers from the Hayes book. Did not answer my query.

JACUSTOMER-qvpq4zo8- :

Please cancel my membership (£13.00)

enesd : If your oil cooler was replaced
enesd : it can take many times to flush cooling system to remove oil from system
enesd : It can be just leftover oil still in system and oil is very difficult to remove from cooling system
enesd : Are you still online ?
enesd : Reply here when you can. Thanks
enesd : Do you need more help