Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

I think that i my XC 90 has died on me. Normal driving conditions

Customer Question

I think that i my XC 90 has died on me. Normal driving conditions today at normal speeds. A load repetitave clunking from the engine bay fro about 200 yards and i pulled over. The engine stopped and would not restart. I have had it recovered to the local Volvo dealer. I think that it is seized, so does the RAC. It is a 2006 D5 Geartronic model with 89,000 on the clock and is 6 months out of the volvo select warranty - has always been dealer serviced. So do you think it could be the crank / big end? - is this terminal on the D5 or not? How long am i likely to be without the car for because of specialist parts back order? - (we drive to France with a caravan in 2 weeks time) and what can i expect is the likely cost going to be?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.

enesd : Hello and welcome to Justanswer.com my name is Enes I'm a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try to help you find the help you need .
enesd : it can be maybe timing belt broken and that is huge repair easy 1500 euros on that repair if valves got bent and cylinder head has to come out
enesd : But they need to test maybe lower part of engine is still ok only upper gets damaged most the time
enesd : But update me what they find and tell you and I can confirm if that is common failure or not
enesd : .