Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Hi, I had a message today on the dash of my 55 reg v70 manuel

Customer Question

Hi, I had a message today on the dash of my 55 reg v70 manuel diesel est., saying "the smoke filter is full - refer to the manual". This I did but can't find anything about a smoke filter. I have had the car for over 41/2 years and it is regularly serviced and I haven't seen this message before. Can you tell me what the problem is please. Is it something (a late middle age) lady can fix easily or do I have to see my garage about it please.
XXXXX XXXXX (Mrs).
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

By the sounds of it - It generally means the dpf "Diesel Particulate Filter on the exhaust" soot content has reached to a point to where the exhaust filter has become full of soot or beyond the cars capability to self generate the filter which the car does automatically during long journeys etc.the warning which should also come up with a yellow triangle means thus to much soot has built up..lots of factors can cause that - from the car used for short journeys continually not allowing the filter to heat up or the car enough time to as above self generate to burn off the excess soot captured/wrong oil grade used when it should be low ash type etc - what you could try as per driving Provided the vehicle hasnt lost power or showing any other symtoms as far as your aware..might be worth maybe trying this time keep the revs up to get the filter hot say driving in 4th when ever possible usually best of a clear duel carraige way or motorway which ever prefered for about roughly 30mins...if that still doesnt work then im afraid its it going to have to be either force generated - via diagnostically/diagnostic machine in which some dealers "may" not carry out,something you would need to bear in mind - in stead may have to replace the filter "which is part of the exhaust system" itself which aren't cheap im afraid..i do hope this helps