Mike
Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

my volvo V70- has gone into the volvo garage to have the clutch

Customer Question

my volvo V70- has gone into the volvo garage to have the clutch slave valve done, now they cannot get the box to select 1st or 2nd gear. They are claiming that the fault is in the gearbox and the car which has 91 000 miles and is an 06 plate neds a new gear box.
£3 000 plus labour. This renders the car worthless, any ideas, it just does not make sense to me. Please help.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you with this.

Please tell me what the fault was in the first place - the symptoms etc... what happened for you to take it to the garage?

Rgds, MIKE.......................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike, it is simple, the clutch pedal went to the floor, called out the breakdown service, there was clutch fluid on the Tarmac. Took it to the local garage who said it was too complex, took it to the Volvo garage, had the clutch slave valve done. They put the gear box back on, could not select first or second and are now claiming that the gearboxes unserviceable and I will need a new one at £3000 pounds.
That makes the car worthless.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply and further info.

I have to ask to try and get a full picture of whats happened so as to come to an accurate answer for you..

That then now tells me that there shouldn't be any correlation between the two instances of failure - ie, loss of fluid / failed slave cylinder would not cause what you have now.

So - one would tend to think as it was operating fine in that respect before, that they have either connected the gear selector mechanism incorrectly or damaged the selectors when removing / replacing the slave cylinder/ gear box.

I would not simply accept that the gearbox has suddenly failed in this way -its just not likely at all - much more likely that such as the above has happened.

I would suggest speak to the service manager and complain about this - tell them its not at all likely that this could or would happen - and ask him what he thinks - ask him if he thinks such is logical.... Im sure he won't -not if he is honest.

So then the selector mechanisms need checking properly to see if they have been set up / connected incorrectly - or damaged as above.

IF it is an internal gearbox fault - that would be one in a million - and most likely happened because while it was stripped it was dropped or such like.... They are not likely to admit that -- but the way forward is to have the discussion with them now as above.

Let me know how you go - Im more than happy to help further if I can but you will need to do that now to progress with this....

Best Rgds , MIKE.

.................. Please do click on the OK / Excellent ratings button for me now - as thats how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that.

You can get back to me anytime you might need too after that - you are always welcome.

Rgds - MIKE...