Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I Have a 1999 VW cabriolet and over the last few weeks have

Customer Question

I Have a 1999 VW cabriolet and over the last few weeks have been experiencing problems ... as |i drive 70 miles a day I am now " nrevous" as to what the problem may be / how much it might caost to resolve ?
1> Passenger window stuck in up position
2. Windscreen wipers occassionally come on
3. Engine has cut out x 2 at traffic lights/ round about
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Just to clarify...In regards to the passenger window..do you hear anything going on inside the door when you operate the switch etc...was this sudden fail?

As per the wipers ..do they come by themselves or just not responding to the wiper stalk in what ever position you put them at?

Aswell the cutting out - is there any warning light come on since this occurred and what's the vehicles recent service history if possible..and what engine size does it have?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for responding -

Passeger window : I drove to work , parked for the day and when I went to come home window would not open . I was not aware of any noise

Wipers: Came on totally by themselves

Engine : No warning lights before/since

Engine size: 1.8 ?? I think

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

If there is no noise from the passenger side window motor then it means no power is getting to it so rules the possibility of the regulator at fault if the motor was still heard when you moved the switched for that side..obviously access will be needed to check that power is actually reaching it when the switch is operated so the door panel will need to come off for that and see if powers reaching the motor at all..if not then the wiring will need to be traced back/checked for breaks especially so around the loom section between the door itself and the door pillar and back the switch and from there to main fuse panel aswell as checking the connectors to for any such corrosion etc..also if you can check related fuse for that side and ensure it hasn't blown..as far as the wipers then it could be either a faulty wiper relay sticking so that would certainly need to be checked out aswell as the pins and the relay board for any corrosion or signs of water ingress etc. or the actual stalk itself internal contacts wise..if you have to keep correcting or switching off using the stalk or there are problems getting the wipers to respond using that...As far as the engine stalling then this could be one or two things either a faulty crank sensor or the idle speed control valve so it maybe well worth having that checked cleaned as such inc the throttle body itself to ensure there no issues there and see if that helps,usually cleaning is probably one the best thing to try....One other area to check would be the earth points around the battery area to body there so have that fully checked for any corrosion etc..Costing is going to be one the most difficult areas to be specific on as it may take quite sometime to check all the above and all garages throughout the uk tend to rate hourly differently anyway.If your struggling to find a good local garage to do some of these checks above then this site maybe of use to you http://www.goodgaragescheme.com/

I do hope this is of help..If you need to ask anything else or included anything further beofre you rate then just continue