Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

my volvo 2005 s40 shows on dashboard engine system sevice

Customer Question

my volvo 2005 s40 shows on dashboard engine system sevice required

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
How many miles are on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the car runs well most of the time occasionally when stopped at lights etc. the engine runs poorly and not enough revs to pull away so stalls. i then restart the engine which struggles for a few minutes before it builds up enough revs and pulls away. when the engine runs poorly loads of smoke is omitted from the exhaust. the car as done 114.000miles and is seviced regularly. hope that helps Bob Plumpton

Ok from what you are describing the vehicle has a fuel injector that is failing and allowing one of the cylinders to not be primed correctly. This turns on the light and results in the symptoms and the smoke that you are getting. The fuel injectors needs to be tested as a first step and this is best done with a cylinder balance test which shows which one is failing.
Let me know if you need further assistance thank you.