Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

How do I change the reversing light switch on Volvo S40 (2000)

Customer Question

How do I change the reversing light switch on Volvo S40 (2000) and where is it?

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Often the switch will be found directly ontop of the gearbox casing itself - of course you will need to remove items such as the air filter housing a parts of the intake tube to get proper access to see the top area of the gearbox..and carefully check over the top of the gearbox for a two pin plug connector/the switch itself will either have black/dark grey plastic body usually and is just basically screwed into the gearbox - you can either use a ring/or open end spanner "test fit on the new one to get the correct size" and just basically undo the old and refit the new on in reversal of refit till tight/and refit the plug etc and retest the reverse lights..Depending which gearbox/engine you have there I do recall it can also be under the transmission mount and this can involve having to support the transmission under the car with block of wood and a trolly jack or transmission jack.so as to remove the transmission support mount over the top of the gearbox to get access to the switch..so as above first off as above a have good look over the top of the gearbox and look for that two pin male plug connector and should be able to locate it...I do hope this helps..