Mike
Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi Mike A customer of mine is having problems with his 2009

Customer Question

Hi Mike

A customer of mine is having problems with his 2009 S40 1.6 DRIVe saloon with the Ford/PSA diesel engine. There's 90k miles on it. It idles at approx. 1200rpm and there's a fault for accelerator position (I don't have the exact code right now as my diagnostic machine is faulty at present). It can be a handful getting it stopped at junctions. The accelerator pedal has been replaced and the DPF has been replaced as i thought it might have been going through too many regeneration cycles but it's not the case. I'm aware of the same problems in Ford Focus cars and the the problem is caused by the instrument cluster. Could it be the same case with this S40?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Aidan
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Aiden and Welcome -

This is MIKE -

What type of diagnostic equip was used - and was the code for the Accelerator sensor - and is it still there / wont delete?

Rgds, MIKE.......................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's a Launch X143. Yes the fault code won't erase now. Yes, it's for the sensor. I can confirm this tomorrow. Have you encountered this before?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for that that does help -

Usually the faulkt with this is often with the actual pin / block connector - that connects to the APP sensor unit - often its found that the pins have either pushed back into the socket so not connecting - or, they are plan bad connections - and check too -the wiring into the pins there - they are known to break ! hence the fault -and the code will nver clear.

Too - if its not there - check the wiring back - that circuit -for any loom damage which is known back to the ecu - and then you need to check the ecu connectors / wiring too if nothing is found.

Other than that , throttle body issues / injectors are common - bear in mind that such will not always give a fault code. And too - if all else checks out as ok, a software update on the Pcm is often required to re sort it after the pedal change.

This model doesnt have the issue with the cluster that would cause those symptoms - I m not aware of that and have checked the database too and nothing is said..so its as above on this one.

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike! I hope you're having a good Christmas. I was in contact with the owner over the holidays. When i met them the car was idling and behaving normally. I checked the codes and they were as follows:

ECM 7700 Engine control module

ECM 9530 Accelerator position sensor

ECM 952F Accelerator position sensor. Faulty signal

ECM 3000 Camshaft sensor

ECM 7600 Immobiliser

I erased gthe fault and only the ECM one came on right away. The owner says the fault is intermittent. I'll check the APP connections tomorrow and let you know how i get on.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Aidan -

Given what you say further as above, other than bad / damaged wiring / connections in the circuit, the issue would point to a faulty Ecm

I would suggest have that sent off to an ecm test / repair company now - for test / repair as found.. Let me know how you get on - but its certainly looking like that -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.................Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike! Checked all connections to APP, Throttle body and ECM, all OK. Tried different software to check fault codes. The only fault that shown up was U0301 Software incompatibility - ECM. The faulty hasn't occurred since before i erased all the faults on christmas Eve.

I think that code has to do with the DPF removal as it had to be remapped after

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hello again Aidan -

Thank you for your reply and further info.

I wasn't aware at all from you that the DPF had been removed - all you said in your question re the DPF system was - " .. and the DPF has been replaced "....

So yes -the ecu has to be reprogrammed after that is done - I suggest have that done and see how you go then...

If you still have trouble -especially with that Ecm code, you will need to do as I mentioned above on that - though it could be worth just asking at a local Volvo dealer if a software update is available that may cure that for you first.

So thats the way forward on this one Aidan -

I do need you to click on the OK ratings system for me now please...

Kind Rgds, MIKE.