Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My formerly brilliant touran has developed a problem which

Customer Question

My formerly brilliant touran has developed a problem which is difficult to define. It started about 6 weeks ago, it seems to bump and rattle almost like it is going to stop then intantly it goes again, at times this is happening constantly which causes the bumping effect, occasionally at very low speed it will stop altogether, it always start again. I booked a full service and explained the syptoms to the mechanic. He put it on his slightly limited diagnostics but nothing showed up on the report and no lights appear when the problem is occuring. He found the fuel filter was black and thought this would solve the problem but it hasn't. He then suggested we may have some bad fuel but after two replacement tanks of fuel the problem persists. Yesterday I took it to another garage where they have brilliant diagnostics and again nothing showed on the report. The only thing they said was that they thought the pressure may be low or lower than should be on one injector, which 'may' cause the problems we are experiencing. I am trying to get a second opinion on this because it is quite an expensive repplacement for a 'maybe' cure, but we can't go on the way it is at present.
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

From what you are describing the issue that you are having is consistent with a failing fuel injector which is a common failure and results in the issue that you are having. THe fuel injectors normally will not set a fault code so nothing will show on the diagnostic. The first step with this type of issue is to have a fuel induction service performed on the vehicle,this service will clean the entire fuel system and this service is performed at most garages.