Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

The part to the left hand side of the maf is clicking loudly.

Customer Question

The part to the left hand side of the maf is clicking loudly. What is this part and should it be clicking?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.

Enes : Hello and welcome to our web page here my name is Enes I'm a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.
Enes : The valve you talk about can make noise clicking type for short time to run self test most the time at start up cold
Enes : Now that valve is called turbo control valve
Enes : the maf sensor what type did you use orginal from volvo ?
Enes : did you clear codes after repair ?
Enes : did you re check codes after repair ?
JACUSTOMER-4vhwll2r- : I used a Bosch part. The car has no power and I haven't noticed the cocking noise before
Enes : Did you use VOLVO dealer part ?
Enes : how much was that one.
JACUSTOMER-4vhwll2r- : No
Enes : 80% time all maf sensor sold out there are bad made or just wrong for volvo
Enes : volvo maf sensor cost close to $350
Enes : Now to know if you have good maf sensor you must use VOLVO advanced scsnner to illuminate the guess on maf
Enes : advanced scanner can read air flow thru and graph flow
Enes : You will have to that
Enes : than you can see if that is good maybe other problem is there
JACUSTOMER-4vhwll2r- : I paid $300 for Bosch maf from reputable motor factor (the original maf was a Bosch)
Enes : I'm just saying 80% out there from report poeople who come here online. Ends up to be bad maf sensor or wrong type
Enes : now you can have good maf sensor but you still gone have to use advanced scanner to monitor all other sensors how they work and maf sensor
Enes : Bosh makes maf sensor for all cars
Enes : You can have other issue maybe mad fuel pressure or throttle also
JACUSTOMER-4vhwll2r- : Assuming I have a good maf is there anything I can do without bringing it to a man dealer to reset the engine system service light? Do I need to drive it for a while for it to get clear readings. I had read about the etm but was this for earlier engines?
Enes : Throttle. Fails on your model also fuel pressure and sensor. Requires pressure gauge and scanner
Enes : all said you must use scanner or you will guess again $300 part to try
Enes : Without confirmed testing you will be guessing
Enes : but bad part is you can't do much at home with no scanner
Enes : Reset of check engine must be only reset with scanner
JACUSTOMER-4vhwll2r- : My engine system service light used to come on under heavy acceleration then go off maybe 24/48hrs later? Would disconnecting th battery for a while do this or reset the codes?
Enes : Don't do that you erasing all codes you must know all codes that stored before you disconnect battery do you know problem area
Enes : If you just clear it out it will happen again and can damage more
JACUSTOMER-4vhwll2r- : Will I damage eng e by continuing to drive?
Enes : It can create problems
Enes : engine will not brake that easy
Enes : but can create brake more parts. If you had the codes from scanner I could tell you more
JACUSTOMER-4vhwll2r- : I have an ob11 scanner would that give you the codes?
Enes : You can give me if you have obd2 scanner it can give idea to what is going. On
Enes : Reply back with codes when you check