Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

Hello Sir I have a S60 (06) 3Ltr 180 B HP Volvo . My problem

Customer Question

Hello Sir I have a S60 (06) 3Ltr 180 B HP Volvo . My problem is it is burning about a gallon for oil every two weeks. I am told its could be a ring broke. This is a car that have never being without a service when it was due. This car has always been looked after. At the moment it is giving all the signs that the filter box is full and when this sign comes on the car slowes down. After a while the car pickes up speed and there is no problem with power. I do notice it is gone heavey on fuel also. There is 234753 km on the clock at this very time. I was told by all the adds that volvo has is the real excitement begins when you own a Volvo must be for different reasons. I was also told you can't get parts for these engines you have to get a replacement or new is this true?. It is very frustrating when you see other cars passing you on the road. Cars that is way older by years.

Brendan O'Riordan
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shantal,

Thank you for your email. Yes I will wait for your answer.

Brendan.

Hello Brendan,

Thank you for getting back to me and for your patience. I will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello Brendan,

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to our web page here my name is Enes I'm a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.you burning or leaking oil ? Do you have smoke?
You use gallon of oil by how many miles ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Enes,

The car is burning a gallon of oil about every 300 miles. I don't have any smoke and its not leaking have all that tried. The engine is dry. The display light says the soot box is full.

Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.
The way this works is that regeneration happens on average every tank of fuel , so if you dont have a 20 minute run on the motorway at least once or twice a tankful you will get a message "Soot Filter full"
There are three stages to this
1 What you must do IF this message comes up is to go for a 20 minute motorway run as soon as possible . This will regenerate the filter and all is ok . YOU fix the problem , there will be a fault code stored in the sytem to let the service people know what's been happening .

2 If you ignore the message then it will go into limp mode and this regeneration will have to be done at the dealer on the computer , it takes over half an hour . And 2 codes will be stored to indicate that the first soot message was ignored ...

The third stage , if you ignore the limp mode for long have poor power oil use a lot , you will have to buy a new
Particular filter

You will have to fix that first then also run compression ok engine to see engine health and cylinder leakage test !