Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

Volvo s40 SE Auto 1.8 2002 - transmission issue reversing

Customer Question

Hi - I have a Volvo s40 SE Auto 1.8 2002 model which I was about to buy and have borrowed for a few days. To start with all was well but after 1 day of driving, check engine popped up and when I went into reverse the up-arrow started flashing. now when I go into reverse, there's a few seconds delay and then it jolts into gear quite hard. I found out how to clear the error but it still happens every time I try reverse. I've read the error using an ECU reader and it says : "EFI-666 DTC in automatic transmission control module (TCM)" - any ideas what might need doing and is it likely to be expensive. Transmission fluid is not low but brown in colour.

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.

Enes :

Hello and welcome to our web page here my name is Enes I'm a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.

Enes :

you must read fault codes in transmission

Enes :

that will give you problem area

Enes :

most time it needs software and can only be done at volvo garage

Enes :

or you can have bad pnp switch

Enes :

those are most common bad

Customer :

sorry I was looking for an answer that was in English - please could you translate ?

Enes : The code you have is telling you to check codes in trans
Enes : now you can't use any scanner to read transmission error codes it must advanced VOLVO scanner best
Enes : than it will give you other code and in most cases is code for pnp switch
Enes : but you can't say for sure what part is bad until you get confirm that code from trans
Enes : Sorry for my English I'm not from uk I'm trying as best to write you I hope you don't mind
Enes : thanks
Enes : reply when you can