Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

I have a 2002 140,000 mile T5 estate with full Volvo history.

Customer Question

I have a 2002 140,000 mile T5 estate with full Volvo history. The Engine seized and I had an 80,000 engine fitted which turns out to be a 2001 unit. It now takes 2-3 seconds to start which could poss be a delay while the oil pressure is proved. Worst of all the switchable auto is being ever so naughty. I nearly need to hit 3000 rpm to pull away and it won't rev beyond 3000 rpm until it hits the higher gears.
Don't think it reaches top gear as 85mph is 4000rpm and I'm only achieving aroundXXXXX It also clunks into reverse. It revs to redline in neutral . All was fine before the engine went wrong. Ian
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Ian,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ive paid the the £21 charge already so can wait a few more days .

Does your company retain my card details and expect a monthly payment as i definately do NOT want this. Ian

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to our web page here my name is Enes I'm a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.you only pay one time fee. Tell me more about your problem. Is automatic trans ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As in the opening question , YES it is a switchable auto, the switchable bit doesn't work either. I need around 3000rpm to pull away from rest and it won't select top gear either. I know the torque converter is a likely candidate and that he auto box has "had it" but what aspect of it. It drove perfectly before the engine was changed and aside from new ATF which is the at the correct level the gearbox wasn't touched during engine change. It clunks into reverse from drive as well. Ian
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
The transmission has to be removed. Separated from engine when is removed. So installation back on engine can easy be wrong yes the torque converter can also be bad or wrong installed all is pointing to transmission inside internal problem. Did you try using VOLVO advanced scanner at volvo garage to see if there any error codes in advanced scanner for volvo ? Also did you try to reprogram shifting point delete all memory and than install software and re learn all shift points you can try that also . Let's say you had engine replaced and at some point battery was disconnected the memory if trans can partially lost now only way to recover it re learn and software I have seen that also few times .