Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

Just before Christmas, my 2004 V70R gave a

Customer Question

Just before Christmas, my 2004 V70R gave a "Brake failure stop now message" (power steering stopped working at the same time) then a went off for a couple of days. It then returned again power steering gone, other messages are chassis service settings service, engine service, headlamp failure. An auto electrician has inspected the car and says that it is the main ECU which can't be serviced so I will have to take it to Volvo for a new one which apparently will cost half the value of the car - can anyone help with this please?

Currently it would appear that the brakes aren't as sharp as usual (presumably ABS is off)
The Power steering isn't working
The adaptive suspension isn't working (it feels to be rock hard as on the advanced setting)
The heated seats don't work
Cruise control doesn't work

Any suggestions to get this repaired at a reasonable price would be much appreciated
Paul xxxx

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.

Enes :

Hello and welcome to our web page here my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.

Enes :

you must check for error codes using volvo scanner at volvo garage

Enes :

you can have bad abs module yes

Enes :

but for power steering you can bad brake vacuum pump switch and taking out together steering functions making it tight

Enes :

as far susspenssion ity maybe is calibration of susspenssion module

Enes :

all that said you must run advanced scanner to the car it will give error codes you can reply back to me

Enes :

i can re evaluate error codes

JACUSTOMER-24034cpn- :

The Auto electrician ran the scanner and he said that the Main ECU was faulty after reading the error codes.

Enes : If he said that than it looks like bad abs module
Enes : the abs module do fail a lot
Enes : you can get new or rebuilt they cost less then new