Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

My 2003 (177,000 milles) volvo XC diesel lux began to stop

Customer Question

My 2003 (177,000 milles) volvo XC diesel lux began to stop giving power on acceleration on a regular basis and would maintain max speed of about 50/60. For a short duration or until the engine was restarted. The engine service required message would come on. Garage could not locate problem. Now engine service required message comes on regularly ( every day in various circs) and car is slow to gain speed ( say at junction etc) and travels up the gears in short bursts in a very odd way. It is also a nightmare to drive up a hill as it's warming up in the morning. To get it to react you have to reduce pressure at the right time on the accelerator and then it will take off - too much. (!!).
This issue has gone on for ages and my garage cannot find a problem or code. I was selling the car but cannot sell it due to not knowing how to deal with this problem. Please help. It's driving me mad
Fiona
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.

Enes : Hello and welcome to our web page here my name is Enes I'm a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.
Enes : service required is stored code I. Car system now the garage you take it has not correct scanner to read codes you must use volvo garage or volvo advanced scanner the error code will help your problem pin point
Enes : It can bad turbo control valve if you have turbo engine
Enes : or other map sensor or maf sensor
Enes : but we can't guess you must scann get the correct code from volvo scsnner called vida