Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

Had my 2003 Volvo S40 1.8 GDI serviced this morning. On leaving

Had my 2003 Volvo S40 1.8 GDI serviced this morning. On leaving the garage I noticed the battery light flicker. The garage said it might be that the battery is low and to take it a drive. I drove the car about 7 miles and returned to the garage. The light seems to stay out when the throttle is on and flicker when I lift my foot off the pedal. Once back at the garage the mechanic loosened off the alternator and checked a few things before tightening things back up. The car was started and stopped a few times. When asked to start the car once more the revs drop and the engine cuts out. If I rev the engine hard I get a slight misfire when the revs are dropping which sounds lilke it's coming from the rear of the engine and sounds like air popping. Once the revs level out the engine will continue to pop until the car cuts out. Do you think the battery light flickering and the engine problems could be related. I have also just purchased the car and I noticed that the last owner had the car serviced in October and then had spark plugs replaced about a month after the service was done. Sorry if this is a little long winded. ian
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.

Enes :

Hello and welcome to our web page here my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.

Enes :

i thin kyou have more than one problem

Enes :

but i would run test on battery and alternator charging if that is poor it can effect all other car system for fuel control and car would run poor

Customer: As stated the mechanic checked the alternator was all secure. Battery had 14v and alternator was showing a charge. Can alternator cause such rough running.
Enes : If alternator is charging ok than rough running I look more fuel and ignition