Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

Volvo XC 70 (Diesel) Fuel Problems Has anyone who has experienced

Volvo XC 70 (Diesel) Fuel Problems

Has anyone who has experienced a similar problem suggest a solution?

I have a 2007 XC 70, current mileage 210,000.

It has been regularly serviced, initially by Volvo main dealers but latterly by a competent local mechanic who is VW rather than Volvo trained.

The car was running well until about three months ago when I heard a clicking noise from the back of the car. I took the car to my local mechanic who advised that the fuel tank is under the back seat and should be replaced. He did this but advised that it was a very fiddly job because the car has a saddle tank with the fuel pump on one side of the transmission tunnel and a slave pump (?) on the other.

This solved the clicking noise and all was well until about a week later when the car cut out without warning. The computer read 190 miles of fuel left, but in case the gauge was defective I put my emergency gallon of diesel into the tank and the car started after a few turns.

I made my way to the nearest fuel station and filled the car up with about 30 litres which proved that the gauge was not defective.

I took the car back to my local mechanic, suspecting that the fiddly nature of the fuel pump installation may have resulted in a poor connection or joint somewhere in the system. He checked it over and could find no obvious problem, suggesting that it may have been an air lock or piece of dirt which had worked its way out.

I took the car back but suffered the identical problem twice more over the coming days, each time with the tank about half full, but the car starting as soon as I added my spare gallon.

I took it back to my local mechanic who admitted he was beaten by the problem so he sent it to our local main dealer, at his own expense. They had it for several days and eventually returned it with a clean bill of health. I don’t know what they did because I didn’t see the invoice but my local mechanic informed me that they did not criticise his installation of the new pump.

All was well for a couple of weeks until the car cut out again. When I got it started I took it straight to my local main dealer who interrogated the fault codes and diagnosed excess fuel pressure when starting from cold. They replaced various sensors and some of the fuel pipes before returning it, again with a clean bill of health.

The car ran very smoothly for about 4 weeks until last Friday when it cut out, without warning at a very inconvenient junction. Adding the spare gallon did little good (although the car was on an incline at the time but I have no idea if this was relevant). The car eventually started, although in limp mode.

I called the AA. Their mechanic was very helpful but could little without Volvos’ bespoke computer kit. He noticed that part of the wiring loom on the front right hand side of the cylinder head/engine block had been rubbing on one of the sensor blocks (?). He suggested, as a last resort, that this could have caused the sensor to issue a warning signal so he taped it up with a plastic tie, but this was pure guesswork.

We crawled home in limp mode and took the car back to my local main dealer. They have reported that an interrogation of the fault codes revealed low fuel pressure, but they do not know why.

This leaves me in the invidious position of having to take the car back, still with the potential fault which Volvo are unable to sort out.

Has anyone else out there experienced this problem, and if so, can you shed any light on the possible cause?

David Waite

03/02/2014
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.

Enes : Hello and welcome to our web page here my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.
Enes : you use VOLVO scanner first I need any fault codes stored for limp home mode
Enes : Can you get that ?
Enes :

,

Customer:

Enes

Customer:

I don't know the code number but I'm told it was a low fuel pressure warning, despite the car having a new fuel pump fitted (and not the fuel tank as I wrongly said) a few weeks ago, and

Customer:

Enes

7:11 PM

I don't know the code number but I'm told it was a low fuel pressure warning, despite the car having a new fuel pump fitted (and not the fuel tank as I wrongly said) a few weeks ago, and then high fuel sensors and associated bits.

Customer:

Enes

7:11 PM

I don't know the code number but I'm told it was a low fuel pressure warning, despite the car having a new fuel pump fitted (and not the fuel tank as I wrongly said) a few weeks ago, and high fuel pressure sensors later. All Volvo could suggest when I picked the car up last week was a fault with the injection pump, it could be tested for about £250, with no guarantee of finding a fault, and would cost about £2,000 to eplace if found to be faulty.The car stopped again yesterday with about 200 miles in the tank but started again as soon as the spasre gallon was added. It seems odd that I had a low fuel pressdure (ie pump) probl;em

Customer:

Enes

7:11 PM

I don't know the code number but I'm told it was a low fuel pressure warning, despite the car having a new fuel pump fitted (and not the fuel tank as I wrongly said) a few weeks ago, and high fuel pressure sensors later. All Volvo could suggest when I picked the car up last week was a fault with the injection pump, it could be tested for about £250, with no guarantee of finding a fault, and would cost about £2,000 to replace if found to be faulty.The car stopped again yesterday with about 200 miles in the tank but started again as soon as the spare gallon was added. It seems odd that I had a low fuel pressure (ie pump) problem followed by high fuel pressure followed by low fuel pressure, the latter occurring when the tank is about half full. If we ignore the high fuel pressure problem, could the low pressure problem be linked to a faulty fuel gauge sensor, or have you any other ideas? If not - do you want to buy as cheap car??!!?? Thanks for your help.

Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.