Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

What causes humming noise on a Volvo S60 whilst driving?

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.

Enes :

Hello and welcome to our web page here my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.

Enes :

can you give me more details please is the humming with inside the car ?
with blower fan on or off ?

Enes :

or if you can record video audio so i can hear would help ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The humming sound is coming from the engine area when driving . It started off after taking off from traffic lights when it sounded like someone accelerating but later realized it was my car. The sound occurs after moving off when accelerating and is rather inconsistent during driving.

Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
The noise how you describe can be from drive belt pulleys on alternator belt drive bearing can fail and be noise , alternator belt tensioner has roller bearing under load it can make noise as tenssion changes those two most common area if noise like that . Best to test is to remove belt from alternator area and run car and listen to noise . Also you just check remove oil dipstick and drive sometimes the noise can from oil separator box seals and engine vacuum can produce more like whistle noise but I don't think you have that but is easy checked just pull engine oil dipstick out and test drive for short time see if it goes away . But I think more your noise in belt drive if you can record. Noise but I would be hard to record a noise