Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

Ive just bought a 2003 XC90. Understandably, its not exactly

I've just bought a 2003 XC90. Understandably, its not exactly in mint condition! One problem is that the sat nav comes on but ends up saying that the disc can't be read, and that, if the problem persists, I should take the car in to be doctored by a Volvo mechanic.

Is this a common fault? Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just a case of bite the bullet and pay for the expert to put it right. (I have tried a new disc, so I don't think it is the disc itself.)
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.

Enes : Hello and welcome to our web page here my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.
Enes : most the time navigation module what reads disc it fails and that is main proccesing module
Enes : there is not much there to do other than to replace
Enes : there is way to open replace laser lenses but is also very costly better getting new or used
Customer:

What sort of price would a new or used unit cost?

Enes : New is around $700 euros
Enes : rebuild try to fix parts cost $200 euros plus labor
Customer:

O.K., that's been helpful.. Thank you.

Enes : If you ask me what is better I would install new portable volvo gps system
Enes : that is from garmin and has better updates and map
Enes : Volvo sales docking charging station and garmin gps unit that new system installed is around 460 euros
Enes : Volvo orginal map is not that great anyway in my opinion
Enes : The poratble is better and has more updates and map etc cameras
Enes : .
Customer:

On the other hand I might just use the good old-fashioned portable Tom-Tom and save a bob or to. Thanks for your help.

Enes : Tom Tom is great also
Enes : those old nav system in all cars so to say in my opinion when they brake not worth putting money in old system if it works use but if broken I agree got with Tom tom
Enes : If you have second please rate the answer my boss looks for your feedback and ratting thank you
Customer:

Sorted. Thanks.