Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

S80 T6 05 reg xenon headlights. Right dip keeps going

S80 T6 05 reg xenon headlights. Right dip keeps going out, if I switch lights off then switch back on it comes back on but will go out again after a while. sometimes seconds, sometimes minutes, suspect bulb as it probably would not work if other components faulty.Don't want to swap to check as not easy and don't want to disturb other unit & possibly break it as old components never like being disturbed. What do you think?

Cheers XXXXX
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Mike G,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can wait until sunday. then I must make alternative arrangements. So if you can get an answer by then . Then yes please, otherwise cancell the question. Many thanks M

Hello Mike G,

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI XXXXX have already indicated until the end of today is fine but from tomorrow I will have to press on with my own arrangements so will require reimbursement if we still have no answer. Must admit I am bemused as it is a common problem and not particualy complex . You must be asked far more involved & detailed technical issues than this particular problem.

Many thanks XXXXX

Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to our web page here my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.problem as you describe. Can be bulb over heats and turns off indicating bad bulb . But most com mi is Balast module what powers up the bulb now that is also very expensive and headlight has to removed from a car . I have seen also docket what holds bulb go bad if the bulb burned out but this problem with socket is more like all time bulb is not working .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX 3 components in this system. The ballast, the ignitor unit and the bulb itself. Because the bulb actually does light up and work for a short period I thought it may be getting too hot & then failing, especialy as it will light up again if switched on & off. I thought if either of the other 2 components had failed it is most likely that the bulb would not light at all. Does the complete headlight unit have to be removed to change the ballast.....Cheers

Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
Bulb and ignitor are access from inside the headlight no headlight removal . Now the balast module requires headlight to be removed from car it mounts from under side of headlight .if you do needs balast let me know I give you web page from USA they ship to uk module to you cost less there .
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.