Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

Hi having starter problems with a 2009 volvo v70 diesel. It

Customer Question

Hi having starter problems with a 2009 volvo v70 diesel. It has a push button start, Sometime the starter motor clicks & the engine does not turn. On occasions it will start if the button is kept pressed until it starts, however sometimes the starter clicks when the button is pressed. Sometimes it starts if the button is pushed once, however sometimes the starter clicks when the button is pushed once.

No DTC’s stored in the ECM

So far I have replaced the complete starter motor.

I have checked & cleaned the battery terminals, earth cable from battery to body & earth cable from body to gearbox. Have also earthed the engine direct to the battery (intermittent starter problem still continued)

Have checked the wiring to the starter

Do these suffer from faulty start buttons?

Is there a solenoid for the start button

Is there a starter relay?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.

Enes : Hello and welcome to our web page here my name is Enes I'm a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.
Enes : What you describe sounds your battery is weak if you hear clicking from starter
Enes : You have new starter motor. Did you use volvo brand starter
Enes : switch don't go bad as much but I have replaced few of them for single click no start
Enes : I never had switch bad with multiple clicks allways was single click
JACUSTOMER-rlb157qa- :

HI battery is good & thats confirmed by a drop test, starter is lucas & fault is the same with new starter. Its not multiple clicks, but single clicks, sometimes it will start from holding the start button pressed, sometimes it starts when pushing the start button once. Either way on several occasions the starter has clicked once & not turned...You have not answered my questionsCan you answer the following

JACUSTOMER-rlb157qa- :

Does the start button have a solenoid? Is there a starter motor relay? Does the engine have a earth strap? How can i access the start button?

Enes : Start buttom don't have sollenoid
Enes : car has starter relay
Enes : Car has few ground straps thru the Car on many locations
Enes : I try to locate that info how it comes out and send you