Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

I have removed the cylinder head from my Volvo V70 2400 petrol

I have removed the cylinder head from my Volvo V70 2400 petrol car. The head gasket was replaced by Volvo cars about 3 Years ago and they totally ruined the head face. My engineer took about 0.006" of the face to level it up. upon refitting the head with new bolts, gaskets, water pump and cam belt kit, I noticed the exhaust cam sprocket moves about 30-40 degrees. How do I set up the valve timing?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.

Enes :

Hello and welcome to our web page here my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.

Enes :

so you only need info how to set up timing belt ?

Enes :

or you need how to set up timing cam shaft hubs ?

Customer:

the camshaft hubs. The inlet one especially as that is the one with the rotating hub. Sorry initially I said the exhaust hub.

Enes : I was helping one costumer not long ago on volvo forums so I have still thr link up to what I send him he upload info there is large to copy and paste in chat
Enes : http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/159754-how-to-replacing-1999-vvt-engine-cam-seals-and-setting-timing/
Enes : The following proceedure is performed with the camshafts locked in a specific position using above mentioned tool #999 5452 and further assumes that the crankshaft is locked with tool #999 5451 as a precaution.Note! Do not turn anti-clockwise during this procedure. Slacken off, but do not remove, the screws which secure the timing gear pulley to the variable valve timing unit. Press the variable valve timing unit and timing gear pulley onto the camshaft. Install the centre screw which secures the variable valve timing unit to the camshaft. Tighten slightly. Turn the variable valve timing unit counter-clockwise as far as it will go. Remove the centre screw. Position the upper timing cover. Turn the timing gear pulley clockwiseuntil the screws at the oval holes are in the limit position. Continue turning clockwise until the timing gear pulley marking is 1½ cogs before the marking on the upper timing cover.
Enes :

you also will need to buy the tools

Enes :

http://www.baumtools.com/pdf/B5452_11.pdf

Enes : .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

problem solved, thanks