Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

My 2005 xc90 has all of a sudden started chugging (the only

My 2005 xc90 has all of a sudden started chugging (the only way to describe it) and as it chugs along puffs of black smoke are emitted from the exhaust. This too me is a problem that I cannot even start to diagnose, please can somebody give me an idea of the problem and even a rough guestimate on price of repair.

Many thanks.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.

Enes : Hello and welcome to our web page here my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.
Enes : you can have running Ritch condition caused by air vacuum leak
Enes : or bad maf air flow sensor or egr valve
Enes : but to know for sure you must scann car with scanner
Customer: Cause of problem... Burst inter cooler. Replacing tomorrow. Your answer led me to source the problem a little faster than if I had done alone.