Mike
Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hello. I am trying to change a rear door lock on a 2004 MY

Hello. I am trying to change a rear door lock on a 2004 MY Volvo S40. I have taken off the door trim and the electric window winder, but there appears to be rivets which need to be removed in order to remove the inner sheet metal. Is this correct? Do I really need to remove these rivets? Thank you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, please continue to look for someone to assist. Thank you.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to assist you ..

If I understand you correctly, the job you are doing does need the rivets drilling out yes...

Some people re rivet - others fit small nut / bolts with shake proof washers to finish...whichever is easier for you.

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me for my time etc - as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's the problem .... I need to ascertain if the rivets really do need to be removed for this job. I find it hard to believe that a simple repair should involve rivets. Are you familiar with this particular repair?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again..

Thank you for your reply. Yes I am - but I did misunderstand you at first - ( I don't answer any question if I don't have knowledge of the job in question )

The "sheet metal" panel - that covers the whole thing , is riveted and will need to be removed - you have to replace the rivets - with rivets on that .

I hope that clarifies for you - sorry for the misunderstanding. Let me know if you need anything more though -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

Mike, Mechanic
Experience: Tech Expert