Mike
Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Where is the fuel pump relay located on a 2003 Volvo s40 S

Customer Question

Where is the fuel pump relay located on a 2003 Volvo s40 SE
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you.

You may well have been getting conflicting info as your car had a change over in that year.... So if you give me your cars FULL reg, I will be able to ID the exact systems your car has and help you ..

Kind Rgds, MIKE........................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mike. Thank you so far. Car Reg. is WJ53 TYH. Variant VS17. Version VS17K9. 1948cc VIN YV1VS17K94F064480. Engine B4203186398.

Hope all this helps. Many Thanks,

Ted

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello there Ted -

Thank you - Im sorry I was not on late last eve..

Ok I have your vehicle - I will give you a diagram which shows the location of the relay..

Just a tip - careful to check the orientation of the pic / fuse / relay box - sometimes you have to turn it around - match it up with the outline of your box - then ID the relay in question.

The image is as follows for you Ted :

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me for my time etc - as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Mike. I think you are about to realise my confusion. There is no such relay in that slot. Haynes Manual says there is and so do you. I have referred to the 2004 manual and it is totally different again. Suggestions vary between both manuals between what you have described and under either of the footwells. I cannot see any relays in the drivers footwell and cannot see how to gain access to the passengers footwell. To add to that, my wife's previous P reg s40 had a totally different relay layout again.

I'm not in a hurry for this as I have just repaired the main fault ( broken earth wire in the fuel pump) and the car works well. I would just feel more comfortable for her if I could replace the relay as well.

Kind Regards,

Ted

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Ted..

Ok, no worries - its not unusual ( as someone once said ! ).. for these to do this - with the info progs etc to confuse us all !

As you say- they do vary per year - you may have the car reg as an 04 but you could have a late early one - or vice versa - it often happens.. It can cause is "porblems" for sure..

Ok so - please give me the cars VIN in full Ted and I'll try it that way....

Best Rgds, MIKE........................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The VIN was in a previous answer but here goes again.

VIN YV1VS17K94F064480.

Kind Regards,

Ted

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Ted -

Thank you , indeed you are right - My apologies.

Ok - please click on the image I have uploaded for you Ted - below..

That shows the location of the fuel pump relay.

... Just a point Ted - I noted you mentioned you had been looking inside the car --- the location is in the engine bay.. I mention,just in case..

Let me know how you go on with that Ted.. If needed, I can look at this further.. but that should be correct here-in.

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Again Mike I am sorry. Your diagram shows nine relays. This car only has six with three vacant slots. I think that I will have to try a process of elimination on this as no one knows where this blasted relay is. So I think that we will put this to bed now.

I do have a further question however. My 1996 Volvo 940 estate, 2Ltr Turbo has an annoying fault which doesn't effect operation. On switching on the ignition I do not always get a full array of dashboard lights. More often just the SRS light only. The car starts ok but lights are dim and fan is slow until I increase to 2000 rpm and the SRS light goes out. Then all is normal. I suspect a gummed up ignition switch and to that end have sprayed WD40 into the keyhole to loosen the grease. The effect is uncertain. Do you have any ideas?

Regards,

Ted