Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

Volvo 940 2ltr Turbo.

Volvo 940 2ltr Turbo. When switching on the ignition I sometimes do not get the full array of dashboard lights but just the SRS light. When this happens the daylight running lights are low and the heater fan is slow until I increase to 2000rpm when the SRS light goes out and all works normally. Can you help please?

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to our web page here my name isXXXXX'm a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question. from what you describe it sound like is bad ignition switch it self is bad , you did spray wd 40 but in mechanical part in cylinder not in ignition switch , those ignition switches go bad with age and time and create those problems . so i would start with new igntion switch . also what i would check pull out istrument cluster and check all wires connecting in back of istrument cluster those wires with age and time can make poor connections and create same problem you feel for that if is the case you clean and adjust all wires in back of the istrument cluster .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Enes, your extra info helps but can you tell me in the simplist terms how to remove the ignition switch? I will then leave your feedback. Thank you again.

Ted

Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
Changing Rear Electrical Part of Switch. First disconnect the battery negative, then remove the instrument cluster. Disconnect the switch harness connector by pulling straight off the back toward the front of the car. The electrical portion of the switch is just held on with two 3/16 inch slot head screws, the lower of which is difficult to access. A real short 3/16 inch flat blade screwdriver (< one inch) or an offset ratcheting screwdriver is essential since a frame member is in the way. You have to work almost totally by feel because the screws face toward the front of the car. Also essential are a mirror, a lamp or flashlight, and a magnet to retrieve the inevitable dropped screw. Once you get the screws off, just pop the old switch off and the new one on and replace both wire and screws.sorry there no pictures for this old car