Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Volvo 960 estate. Slow seatbelt retraction on nearside passenger

Volvo 960 estate.
Slow seatbelt retraction on nearside passenger rear. Any option apart from getting a new one which will have to be from a breaker as volvo dealers report unavailable.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Not alot of options really bar actually physically getting to the belt reel mechanism aswell as ensure the the belt isnt twisted etc as it retracts into the reel mechanisim..you try wd-40 into it and see if that helps..but the end result will have to be a replacement of sorts..second hand ones will be fine as long as it been prechecked/and the vehicle it comes off hasnt been in an accident where that belt may have been used..However using or fitting a second hand one isnt uncommon practice especially with rear ones any way..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advice - I just needed to be sure this was really the only option and that secondhand ones were fit to use. Have identified a supplier providing a 6 month guarantee so have now ordered these. Ridiculous that Volvo themselves no longer have them available. One query regarding WD40 - this is silicone free and one source on line said to try a silicon spray - any comment?

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

You can use either as long as you can get the small straw into the mechanism to help free it up then you can try that - however if you have purchased a secondhand one then then that basically really the only alternative to be honest..I do hope this helps further