Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech

just bought Volvo S40 1.8i XS 1998.Light has come on which

Customer Question

I have a Volvo S40 1.8i XS 1998. A dashboard light has been on for a number of days, which indicates a fault in the engine electronic system - the handbook says it could be in the engine's fuel or ignition system. The engine is still running smoothly and the carburetor/ignition system seems to be working OK. What are the most likely causes? Thanks

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi .

If the check engine light comes "ON" when the engine is running then
you have a fuel injection system malfunction.
Here is a short information post for you to read and understand how this system works and what you have to do ..
In your case you may still keep driving until you have time to take it in to be checked ..

If the “check engine” light illuminates, it will either blink or remain constant, depending on the problem.
Either way, you should have the vehicle checked by a Qualified Service Technician as soon as possible.

The check engine light is yellow, meaning you don't have a great problem, this comes on when the management system (ECM), encounters a malfunction within the engine and transmission system.

Unless you have noticed the engine is misfiring,which means this should be checked asap due to the fact a misfiring engine will damage the catalytic converter's.

Now if the engine is running well ,then you don't have to get to the garage asap but when you have the time.

What i suggest you do is find a good local garage hat has a diagnostic scan tool (shops computer engine tester).

Once the scan tool is connected it will be able to read a stored code or codes
(A code will be stored due to a malfunction of a part or sensor, it will turn the light ON)

The found code or codes will let you know what has malfunctioned and the testing technician will then let you know what has to be done to repair this issue .

Once the repair has been done the the codes will have to be cleared, which will switch off the check engine light, if the repair has been done correctly then the check engine light should stay off.

Need further assistance then please get back to me.
Kindest regards Greg