Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

Hello,Im looking to add serial shifting capability to

Hello, I'm looking to add serial shifting capability to my 2005 S60 2.0T (B5204T5) with AW55-50 gearbox. Is this possible? What would be required in terms of H/W and S/W? Would a geartronic shifter and a re-flash of the TCM with the respective firmware from a 2.0T geartronic model (i.e. volvo 2004 v50 t5 se geartronic) suffice? Thanks in advance!

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.

Enes : Hello and welcome to our web page here my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.
Enes : i don't think you can add that is not pre wired and control units in car for transmission and engine are not set for that program
Enes : now if you find way to do it how you gone change software volvo will not allow flash to mismatch car factory settings. So programing software wouldn't work
Customer:

Hello Enes and thanks for the reply. I'd appreciate some clarifications.I continued my investigation and it seems to me that

Customer:

the wiring is almost the same (ref. pages 95, 97 and 98 of TP3976201 S60/S60R/S80 2005 wiring manual)

Customer:

I have limited understanding of the wiring diagrams nomeclature but it seems to me that swaping in a geartronic GSM is the "only" necessary thing in terms of HW.

Customer:

Regarding SW, I understand this to be the main issue. I assume that I will need a TCM with the geartronic SW (from another car). Which car is

Customer:

"compatible" with my gearbox?

Customer:

Then is the issue of collaboration and SW compatibility with the ECM and CEM. I assume that the main problem is that there is no car with geartronic TCM mated to the B5204T5 ECM. BTW, the ECM is a motronic 4.3? Are there specialists/companies who could help with the ECM programming if needed?

Customer:

Sorry for the many questions. I just got the car and want to take this as a technology project.

Customer:

(I'm Electronic Eng. with PhD in embedded systems design, so this is a perfect "weekend project" for me.)

Customer:

Thanks is advance for your time,

Customer:

Gregory.

Enes : Here is the problem you can't use used module
Enes : every module is programed to one vin number one car now you would have to switch every single computer from car to make it work maybe
Enes : you can't just fix wires and change module and have that shifting it would require trans also to have that hydraulic valve body to shift thr casing is same but internals are not same
Customer:

Enes, thanks for the reply. Would you think of any way to acheive manual shift?

Customer:

(I'm thinking of a custom between TCM/ECM or between TCM and valve control module,

Customer:

just like the injector control module in the the LPG conversions).

Enes : LPG is differnt volvo sales software and access to module to modify
Enes : as far ECM and tcm volvo does not offer any access to software or reference in to the module I don't know anyone who can sale aftermarket software to do that
Enes : I don't have any Info for that can help you
Enes : I only have access to volvo how to fix per volvo standard not much to modify or change
Customer:

Thanks Enes.

Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.