Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.

every time i cure an oil leak a different one appears Not at

Customer Question

every time i cure an oil leak a different one appears Not at idle or for a little while under load. I suspect crank case breather problems? how many breathers are there? can you think of any other problems? the engine is an ad31p-a no XXXXXXXXXX much obliged David XXXXX

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello David,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what further information do you need

Hello David,

Thank you for getting back to me. No further information at the moment. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to our web page here my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your still need help ? What model is your volvo ?
Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.
Do you need help ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Enes my engine is marine not road. it is an ad31p-a ser no XXXXXXXXXX /p>

Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.
I'm car expert volvo ! Like on car engine it would be same if you have high crankase pressure it willl blow seals and start to leak oil . It can bad breather box but also if piston engine or rings or engine has to much wear it will produce high by blow creating oil leak . You can try to see if oil leak gets reduced if you pull oil dipstick it oil filler cap . I don't work on marine engines but it should be same area idea to check .
Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.
Crankcase pressure?it should be same test like on Diesel engine Locate the crankcase ventilation hose and feel the outlet for crankcase pressure. If your engine does not have an easily accessible vent line you can also check for crankcase pressure at the oil fill. Slowly open the oil fill and check for “blow by.” Blow by is a the amount of gas and oil mist that seeps by the piston rings and pressurizes the crankcase. Excessive blow by can mean worn out rings. You should not feel any pressure in the oil fill. Testing with a gauge should not show above a pound of pressure.Note-Be careful opening the oil fill, this may release little hot oil droplets being thrown off the rocker arms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi Enes unfortunately it appears that the oil is coming from the inter cooler. the only way for that to happen is if the turbo oil seals are leaking???

but it does stop leaking if i remove the oil filler cap while the engine is running. which doesnt seem right. oil pressure guage reads 60 psi at 2000 revs..i will have to remove the intercooler and find out why it is leaking and take off the air filter to see if there is any play in the turbo shaft.

Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.
What car is it ?model and year some oil leak drop from Intercooler is normal .
Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.
I forgot you have boat marine engine !turbo charger can be bad seals blowing lot blow by and pressure in Intercooler creating problem . On car engine it runs same way when turbo fails