Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

Hi, a brief history : driving on Friday evening radiator light

Hi, a brief history : driving on Friday evening radiator light came on, engine overheated and ran rough. Stopped and saw rad lower hose clamp snapped and hose blew off. Recovery started car and drove up onto recovery lorry. Saturday I replaced the hose clamp and fluids. Started engine and it ran for a few seconds and then stopped (I didn't high rev it). Restart engine didn't fire and was sluggish to turnover. Tried again and the started tried to turnover but just stopped. Now lost all power to car. No dash lights when key is turned, no central locking, no hazards etc - totally dead... Sorry for the convoluted tale. Any ideas what may have caused this total power loss ? (Battery is about 1 year old and in good condition). I would at least expect dashboard lights to be there... Thanks, Mark.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.

Enes : Hello and welcome to our web page here my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.
Enes : if you overheat the headgasket blows fast and can make after it cools down no start
Enes : did you check compression and timing belt
Enes : car cranks sounds normal or cranks like is not building compression ?
Customer:

Hi Enes, the crank sounded normal and the engine ran ok for about 30 seconds then died... issue now is that there is no power at all so no dash lights come on when ignition is in position II, central locking does not work, no hazard lights etc.

Enes : It looks like have module failure
Enes : now the next step to test what module is bad requires advanced scanner
Enes : you can test modules communications with that
Customer:

Hi Enes... Found out what the problem was - coincidentally the earth lead had broken which caused the power failure. You were also correct in that the head gasket had blown due to the overheating so I think I have my answers now and I am getting the head gasket replaced.

Customer:

Thanks for your help, Mark.