Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

I have an S80 which blows a lot of black smoke, It is an automatic

Customer Question

I have an S80 which blows a lot of black smoke, It is an automatic and I loose acceleration periodically even on the flat and almost no acceleration going up hills
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.

Enes : Hello and welcome to our web page here my name is Enes I'm a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.
Enes : Enes : Hello and welcome to Justanswer.com my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try to help you find the help you need.Enes : BLACK SMOKEBlack smoke can be caused when there is an improper air to fuel ratio. The fuel does not burn completely and the partially burned particles are expelled in the exhaust. One of the most common causes of black smoke is an air inlet restriction. This can be anything from a plugged air cleaner, an intake hose collapsing or anything else causing an air flow problem even plugged exhaust. On automotive applications the airflow through a paper filter is sometimes restricted enough to cause black smoke especially on acceleration. Injector malfunction is also a common cause for black smoke as is incorrect engine timing.Turbocharger or intercooler faulty . Overfueling can also cause black smoke and is one of the reasons setting a fuel system above factory specifications is strongly discouraged. Internal injection pump problems can also result in black smoke. you need to to test for fault codes also with special scanners to monitor all functions also to check fuel filter also for restrictions or leaksEnes :Black SmokeThis is due to a air to fuel ratio imbalance, either the fuel system is delivering too much fuel into the engine or there is not enough clean air (oxygen ) a few things to look for :Faulty injectors (injectors need attention at about 100.000 to 120 000 miles)Faulty injector pump. Or fuel control , leaking injectors Dirty air cleanerTurbocharger or intercooler faultyProblems within cylinder head, valves clogged up due to faulty EGR (exhaust gas recycling unit)