Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

my 2002 volvo v70 D5 smokes excessively at around 2000 rpm.

Customer Question

my 2002 volvo v70 D5 smokes excessively at around 2000 rpm. The smoke is black and billows out and there is a lack of power as it does this. If i accelerate it will pass and also if i decelerate. It seems as if it is choking. It seems to vary depending on the temperature. I have used injector cleaner which does not make any difference. The air filter is clean and the fuel filter was supposed to have been changed at its recent full service. It does not burn any engine oil. There seems to be a slight whistle which varies according revs. I cannot find any obvious pipe splits though
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I checked for a few days and there was no reply to my question. I am still needing help with this one please.

Steve

Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to our web page here my name is***** a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.
Enes : Hello and welcome to Justanswer.com my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try to help you find the help you need.
Enes : BLACK SMOKE
Black smoke can be caused when there is an improper air to fuel ratio. The fuel does not burn completely and the partially burned particles are expelled in the exhaust. One of the most common causes of black smoke is an air inlet restriction. This can be anything from a plugged air cleaner, an intake hose collapsing or anything else causing an air flow problem even plugged exhaust. On automotive applications the airflow through a paper filter is sometimes restricted enough to cause black smoke especially on acceleration. Injector malfunction is also a common cause for black smoke as is incorrect engine timing.Turbocharger or intercooler faulty . Overfueling can also cause black smoke and is one of the reasons setting a fuel system above factory specifications is strongly discouraged. Internal injection pump problems can also result in black smoke. you need to to test for fault codes also with special scanners to monitor all functions also to check fuel filter also for restrictions or leaks

Enes :
Black Smoke

This is due to a air to fuel ratio imbalance, either the fuel system is delivering too much fuel into the engine or there is not enough clean air (oxygen ) a few things to look for :

Faulty injectors (injectors need attention at about 100.000 to 120 000 miles)

Faulty injector pump
Bad glow plugs
Dirty air cleaner

Turbocharger or intercooler faulty

Problems within cylinder head, valves clogged up due to faulty EGR (exhaust gas recycling unit)
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** no fault codes but there seems to be oil on top of the intercooler by the bonnet release catch. Seems to be just over 2000 rpm when the smoke billows and there is a definate flat spot but it will clear with hard acceleration and a lot of smoke!!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.
You must run those test and check parts I listed in last reply ! Intercooler can sucking oil thru pieces you must look all. Those parts I listed close !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

many thanks, I will check through them all