Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert

Afternoon. I drive a 850 Volvo estate. its

I drive a 850 Volvo estate. its a K registered and I keep it in reasonable good condition,however of late like the last 6 to nine months,it has developed the problem of cutting out at anytime without any fore notice at all.
And nobody seem to be able to tell me the answer to the problem??
Could you help?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What info do you require and where do i print it?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** I have been asked to help you with your Volvo issue...

This is a problem with the TB - Throttle Body on the engine... but its fix is relatively easy..

This is a common / known issue with this vehicle variant that Volvo actually issued a TSB ( Fix ) bulletin back in the 90's for this cutting out fault... I will give you the Tsb / bulletin - print out as follows :

Affected vehicles
  • All models.
  • Engine cutting out.
  • Throttle valve not closing correctly due to build up of deposits in throttle body.
  • Remove throttle body.
  • Clean deposits from inner wall.
  • Actuate throttle valve 3-5 times manually.
  • Inspect throttle body for any remaining contamination.
  • If necessary clean again.
  • Fit throttle body.

Also - check around the pipework work on the engine - the air , the vacuum pipes - and breather pipework - looking / listening for any air sucking sounds / hissing etc. Ensure the breather / PCV valve is ok - if not it will need renewing as cleaning rarely cures faults. Any small air leaks will mean un metered air is entering the engine and will affect fuelling / mixture -and cause cut outs. Ensure you fix anything like this - inspect the pipes for loose fitting / perished pipes / splits etc. Also - when re fitting the TB, ensure you have a good secure seal on the base where it mounts to the inlet manifold.

Working as above will have this all sorted for you.

If there is anything more by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Mechanic
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Morning Mike

Just a quickie, what does PCV mean in laymans terms.

Regards Dave

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

What does PCV mean,with to "the PCV valve ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Relist: Other. Hello Mike has already answered my problem but I just need to know what the PCV stands for---the PCV valve. Regards D.XXXXX

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Dave.

My sincere apologies Dave...I'm afraid I was off yesterday , Sunday.

Ref the Pcv valve, that stands for Positive Crankcase Valve...basically it's the breather system for the engine Dave. You will see the pipe work leading down the left hand side of the engine, that leads to / terminates at the " PCV "..which is a literal valve operated by suction /blow of the engine ...

I hope that explains all for you Dave... Once again, sorry about that.

Just as a tip re the way the system works Dave, best if you don't re list, at least with myself... It causes delays in itself but I will always get back you as soon as I see you have replied..

I hope that helps further Dave... I'm always here should you need anything more on this, or anything future..

Very best rgds, MIKE.