Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

set off to work this morning...selected first gear and set

set off to work this morning...selected first gear and set off fine..after about 20 yards car came to a standstill..can select all gears with or without clutch and engine running....car won't budge
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

What Volvo Model / Engine size do you have?

When the car came to standstill.was it still in gear? or did this happen during changing gear?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Volvo V70 estate. 2.4 year 2000.

car was still in first gear....maybe i dipped the clutch to slow down a little (it's a bumpy country dirt track) but definitely didn't change gear

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your responce..

Ok..Id certainly start off by checking the driveshafts from the gearbox to ensure you havent actually damaged/snapped one..hence the loss of drive - i do note you say you drove down a un even dirt track so it would be a good place to start id say - next ideally would be the linkages to the gearbox to ensure these are still intact and havent came loose away from the gearbox selector mount - just ensure the gears are still able to be selected through the gearstick to the gearbox..you need to monitor that whilst somebody else goes through the range..Does reverse still work,if not then and all gears are lost.then it highly likely you either a fualt on the clutch hydraulic side "concentric slave/release bearing" or the clutch plate itself has gone - i cant see it being the gearbox if "all" gears are lost unless the differnentail side of the box has broken up hence you would actually hear that go..as oppossed to sudden loss of drive and the gearbox would produce alot of noise with no drive if that was the case..so above check the drivetrain driveshafts i mean then check the linkages - then hydraulic side for the clutch inspect for fluid leaks from the slave cylinder at the gearbox.concentric on these if a recall which means gearbox removal to replace aswell as check the clutch pedal/master cylinder...i do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include anything further then please just continue before you rate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

although the dirt track it very even i do drive down it very slowly and carefully. there was definitely no sound of anything breaking...no sound of anything at for that matter. there is some fluid on the underside of the gearbox but i can't see where it's coming from...is it possible to top up the hydraulic fluid somewhere?....no. there is no reverse either. all gears are selecting fine and the clutch pedal pressure is as is was before plus there are no other noises apart from a slight whining when you select fifth and reverse. hope this gives you a better picture. thanks

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Ok..that fluid you do mention..if it smells/feels like brake fluid..as the clutch hydraulic uses the same fluid from the same reservior..so maybe check the brake reservior to see if it gone down slightly..you'll see a small tube coming from it to supply the clutch master cylinder..if its gone below the that then the clutch slave "if" thats where the leaks coming from..as normally a failed or leaking concentric slave leaks out where the gearbox meets the engine around the base side of the gearbox bellhousing..to me its either sounds like the clutch has actually gone hence the loss of drive or the gearbox itself..you certainly need to check for driveshaft damage or the possibility of one of the shafts popped out too.before anything further..

Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks Robert i will check those things. is it ok to get back to you afterwards?

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Yes you can come back here at any time..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks. After all that you have said im now fairly certain that it is the nearside driveshaft.....there was an advisory on the last MOT about a slightly damaged boot...only problem i have now is that i can get 2 of the wheel nuts off to investigate....i keep drowning them in good old WD40 but they are well on!!

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..apoligies for the delay...

If the boots damaged then it may have lost of grease over time..certainly check its still intact though..normally if the shaft breaks you will notice it for sure flopping about not connected to anything..check for play at either end the CV joint at the box end - aswell as the outer CV joint at the hub..I know its was around 4.20pm you last posted so i asume you have got the wheel off already? if the wheel nuts are still stuck then you could with the wheel brace a pole on the end to aid better leverage..we use a breaker bar/impact socket for over tight wheel nuts..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No still haven't got the wheel nuts off. I have to turn in now. ..need to be up at 4 am