Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a message on display:- Power system service required

I have a message on display:- Power system service required urgent with an illuminated symbol red triangle with the battery sign. is this serious ?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi...

Hopefully i can help..

The said warning "power system service urgent" message means that the alternator or voltage regulator isnt working properly to supply the car with charging voltage and not fully supplying the car battery thus becoming low in voltage,so in a sense it can be serious in a way by if un checked the battery could likely go flat due to not getting charged - the first check ideally is to esnure the main alternator belt isnt actually snapped or loose..if ok - then the next logical step here is to test the alternator output voltage aswell as have the battery tested..to see which of the two is at fault..normally with this type of fault it "can" be due to the alternator itself.but best to have it checked out first before just replacing it..I do hope this helps