Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

Hi, I have recently been having a temperature gauge problem

Customer Question

Hi, I have recently been having a temperature gauge problem on my 1999 Volvo S80 2.4 auto. The gauge will either move up a couple of bars after driving for3-4 miles and stay there. Or it will shoot straight up into the red. I know the car is not overheating as I can turn it on in the morning after being switched off all night and it will go straight back into the red, left idling for a few minutes it will fall back to normal. Them cooling fan will come on when it shows red on the gauge but switches off when it goes back to normal. I have had a new engine temperature sensor fitted, the thermostat is working fine (checked by garage) and the ECU is reading the correct temp but it's not getting that info to the gauge. When this happens the emission service light comes on. Any ideas?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.
Enes : Hello and welcome to our web page here my name is***** a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.
Enes : you must use volvo scsnner there must be some fault codes stored
Enes : you can't see all with regular obd2 scsnner
Enes : Emission service required is indication code stored but not all scanners can read codes in advanced menu