Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have just bought a Volvo v70 lovely condition only done 69000

I have just bought a Volvo v70 lovely condition only done 69000 miles but is over 9 years old...when should I change the timing belt?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

The rough time to replace that belt/tensioners,pump etc is around,nearing 96,000 miles or 10 years which ever come first...its likely if there is no note of the belt being done since previous owner ship that i may well be on the original belt..you may want to consider asking around for quotes on the full T belt change over..i would also strongly advise getting the auxillary belt replaced with a new one at the same time..its not un heard off for the fan/auxiallry belt to shred and the cause the shredded belt to work it way into the bottom/crank timing belt sprocket and cause the belt to jump/or break causing engine internal damage..but as above thats about the time for the timing belt..so it worth now asking around for quotes..better to spend a few hundred pounds on the replacement than a few thousand on a new engine or top end..due to the belt breaking suddenly due to age....I do hope this helps