Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

When driving my 2003 S80 petrol automatic, there is a louder

When driving my 2003 S80 petrol automatic, there is a louder than normal noise coming from the engine compartment, this gets louder a you accelerate, could you please tell me what could be the problem or location to investigate.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

What does the noise sound like?

Which side does it seem to emit from?

Any change in pitch operating the steering / clutch operation / braking etc?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert,

It sounds like a loud wearing / rubbing sound getting louder as you accelerate.

Coming from the right hand side of the engine, which is an automatic.

No problems at idle or starting the engine or braking.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..thanks for your reply..

Ok.. if its more evident on the right side of the engine looking into the engine bay - during driving and runs in tandem with the speed of the car then there are few things that need to be addressed if not already done so..in regards ***** ***** wheel bearing issues/backing plate rubbing..often these can cause similar issues especially so wheels bearing goes..also rough check of the driveshaft/cv jointmboots for issues...if it more from the gearbox side or possibily from the gearbox itself - if its not had a fluid/oil change in a long while since ownership it could well be worth trying that and see if that limits the noise or rectifies that issue..or at least have the gearbox oil checked/level wise too..quite often evena simple fluid/filter service on the gearbox can solve alot of issues..so as above there are few things that can be checked or done at least to maybe track this down..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your help & given a few ideas to check out.

Best regards,

Ian

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi..Ian.. no problem..glad to help....please dont forget however to rate my answer above most appreciated..regards Robert