Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My key fob opens the car but I have to wiggle it in the third

Customer Question

My key fob opens the car but I have to wiggle it in the third stage ignition before the car starts quite a few times?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Does the key feel like its binding at all or loose even when you turn it?

Do you have another spare key to try?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No the key fits tight as it a plastic type which slots in followed by a ratchet sound?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..thanks for your reply..

Yes i know which key you describe..plastic type...if you have the jiggle the key in 3rd position to get it to start then .normally thats down to the switch assembly in which the key is inserted..quite common for the contacts within the switch to get gumed up and thus cause a poor connection or contact..but first you need to get someone to check in at the back of the switch and ensure the plug connector is secure- they may also be able to remove the switch assembly itself and remove the back posrtion which is held with a couple of screws and inspect the contacts that way..you may want to try some electrical contact cleaner within the switch via the where the key is inserted to see if that helps..if not then it likely the switch itself is at fault...i do hope this helps