Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

Whilst towing my caravan on Friday I experienced a loss of

Customer Question

Whilst towing my caravan on Friday I experienced a loss of drive accompanied by what I would describe as a whooshing sound (like a car tyre deflating). Afterwards I could not pull away and had to be recovered back home. Without the caravan attached I can now move the car both forwards and backwards at idling pace. As I accelerate more the car starts to hop/judder. At that point I have stopped for fear of causing further damage. It is a 2006 XC90 D5 geartronic with 137k miles on the clock.
I'm looking for an initial diagnosis so I can decide what to do next.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.
Enes : Hello and welcome to our web page here my name is***** a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.
Enes : You where towing maybe you overheated trans oil the volvo is not that grew on towing so what you felt was maybe trans overheating and shifting poor
JACUSTOMER-dji42j5a- :

The car has towed for the last six years without any trouble. I was only 20 miles into my journey and on mostly flat roads so overheating will not be the issue. Usually when the transmission oil overheats the "transmission service required" message will appear as I know from experience with a previous V70. The car still has a problem pulling away now so your answer doesn't make sense.

Enes : I'm sorry but I think what you describe is trans problem
Enes : You can check fault codes with scsnner but if is mechanical no codes will be stored also I would look at turbo control valve