Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

my Volvo 2003 s80 has just developed a almighty screeching

my Volvo 2003 s80 has just developed a almighty screeching as I brake I was told when I had abs looked at the brakes are fine and don't need replacing what can be making the noise please
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Hopefully i can help..

If the screeching only occurs under braking..then it could well be indeed the pads or something jammed between the pads and the disc or are worn/ and thus this causes the metal backing of the pad if truely worn right down to emit that sort of noise due to metal to metal contact...it might also be a case of the front brake requiring clean up..so they remove the pads etc..clean up the areas on the carrier inspect the pads properly..or the brake surface to ensure nothings embedded in the pads braking surface...inspec the disc surface area on both sides of the disc and replace if required..and refit everything back and test drive again..have they inspected the back ones too..if not then those need to be checked too..aswell as anything ie:backing plate coming into contact with the disc surface...the abs wouldnt likely cause a noise like this and if problems do arise with the abs..then a warning would come up on the dash...I do hope this helps