Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

I have an xc70 2003 petrol. driving along on motorway 80mph

Customer Question

I have an xc70 2003 petrol.
driving along on motorway 80mph on cruise .notice came up engine power failure.
the garage has replaced the turbo and cleaned the oil from everywhere .
i have driven today for the first time ,same speed and its done it again .Can you help ?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have no contact from anyone and am desperate for help please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please can someone please contact me re the car problem , still waiting for a reply

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to our web page here my name is***** a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.tell me what you see on dash just power failure any other red lights or other warnings ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No warnings just the power engine failure when I was driving

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Enes

the first time it happened all power was lost and by the time I had driven to hard shoulder and along about 300 yds the engine was sounding very rattly/noisy .

This time I stopped quicker and the noisy was just about to start.

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
But message did say power failure on dash ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes Garage has just found out .It was a coil gone .Please can you refund the £15 as in this instance you were unable to help

Thanking you

AnitA

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
I can't refund I only answer you paid the web page they process payment before you ask Question I only answer . What coil they replace ? Power failure message on screen dash is not from bad coil !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OMG is that right .They have replaced 5 coils , one of which was broke .do you not think this is the only problem ? Just collected car and driving home .Anita

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
5 coils can be bad they do to go bad they crack . And cause misfire and shaking and check engine light . But if you did see power failure message on dash that is most the time your alternator not charging or overcharging when it gets to hot and not supplying correct voltage now if voltage is off all system in car will be wrong . I think you will need new alternator if you keep seen again power service urgent message .you said orginaly you had coils pack replaced with turbo now you replace coils again ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi,they replced two of the coils to start.then atfer i broke down one had broken so i told them to replace all the remaining old ones.

Just drove home now it sounds ok but it does miss if i put my foot down hard for more power

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
If is still missing under load gas pedal pressed you got make sure they used correct coils ? And correct spark plugs Also alternator must be tested for good voltage charging