Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

We have a 2001 V40 DS. Tip top condition. Always been serviced.

We have a 2001 V40 DS. Tip top condition. Always been serviced. Suddenly it intermittently lost power - we were only able to build up to 30 mph. It then righted itself. We took it to a local garage as we didn't want to drive it through town to our usual Volvo garage. They diagnosed a boost pressure sensor fault but couldn't say whether or not this would solve the problem. We then got it to the Volvo garage and they said more or less the same thing. They had it for a week and it didn't misbehave. It can go for quite a time OK and then it goes again. It has only done approx. 55,000 miles
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to our web page here my name is***** a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your question.i did replace lot boost pressure sensor for problem like that but also turbo control valves so I would either replace both they control turbo and they do fail even with low miles they go bad from all the engine heat with time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After your reply we decided to take the car back to the Volvo dealership to have the boost pressure sensor replaced as it was now misbehaving more. When we tried to drive it there we could not get it above 7 mph so went home and decided to have it towed to the garage, hoping the RAC would do that for us. The mechanic came, was here for about 20 minutes, found that something had come loose and a flap wasn't working. He put a screw in and now it works perfectly. We now have no faith in 'experts' particularly in Volvo dealerships who had the car for a week and didn't find the problem.