Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My power steering fluid on my Volvo 940 is low. I have some

Customer Question

My power steering fluid on my Volvo 940 is low. I have some Granville central hydraulic fluid part no 2594. Is it alright to top up with this and mix it with the existing fluid?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Its not wise to mix power steering fluids - normally on those it was Dexron 2/3 ATF fluid.same as the auto transmission fluid - in power steering..if the exsisting fluid is a reddish colour than thats what it will be. As that part number above i recall/correct me if im wrong. is a Green fluid CHF11S which wouldnt be compatable if you have regular Red ATF in that system.you can get that in small top up bottles from any local motor factors for the red stuff.. however if the fluid is low..then you need to inspect for any possible leaks on the power steering system too/steering rack especially etc