Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.

I have a Volvo XC70 2009 reg. I have had fitted a Genuine Volvo

Customer Question

I have a Volvo XC70 2009 reg. I have had fitted a Genuine Volvo towing kit. After 3 years of use I am now getting the following Faults displayed when towing, these faults are shown when towing a caravan or trailer of which I have towed two of each to try to determine whether the fault is on the caravan /trailer or car. It would appear that after towing four different vehicles that the is with the car.
Faults. Intermittent fast flashing message; Faulty trailer indicator bulb/faulty trailer light. Indicators will sometimes flash at speed as if a bulb has failed. While these messages are being displayed all towed vehicles have been checked and there is no fault found side, brake, and indicators are all working. When the indicators are flashing fast as if a bulb has failed there is no bulb fault they are all working fast on car and towed vehicle. Has the trailer Module failed I have unplugged and cleaned the plug and sockets with electrical cleaner and also cleaned the towing module earthing points all to no avail. Can you help please. If the Module needs to be replaced is it as simple as unplug and reconnect.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to our web page here my name is***** a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try today to answer your looks your module is failed but see on that model the module will require reprogramming with software at volvo garage after install they only have access to do it . But from what you saying all points to failed control module .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, thank you. Now booked into Volvo to be sorted but they already had one look and said nothing wrong with my car but now having connected various trailers/caravans they admit it looks as though the fault is with the car.

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
VOLVO sales that part and they should be able to support and service it trailer shop will not have access to VOLVO trailer module and software if volvo dealer can't fix they need to open volvo technical assistance with volvo engineers
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
If you can take second of your time please can you rate answer positive excellent or neutral just press one of those ratting buttons and that is all . My boss looks for your feedback ratting from you to me to be good. If you can do that please for me and you can still talk to me after ratting we stay locked . You want good answer and help & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail what I ask you so I can do the same. I normally log in at night or free time during day and work late nights . A rating is required please . Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still have paid the web page but I get nothing no credit for replying to you . I want you to be pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.and please rate ok or positive . Thank you .