Mike
Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have an early 2007 V70 D5 Sport Special Edition. (186 BHP)

Customer Question

I have an early 2007 V70 D5 Sport Special Edition. (186 BHP) I am using about a litre of oil to 200 miles. Every one I've asked has said worn rings, valve seals or wrong oil. As an ex mechanic who left the trade in 1988 after 25 years with my own repair shop I find this hard to swallow. To use that much oil would surely need a holed piston or some thing. There is no smoke on start up, when the soot filter is clear she runs perfectly with it's usual get up and go. The car has done 88,000 miles and started using a lot of oil suddenly. This was not a gradual wear thing - and no, there are no leaks. Regards, ***** *****
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Len and Welcome..
My name is***** happy to help / advise.
If this were a holed piston or something similar, it would have happened very suddenly - with a bang as it were - plus importantly, it would not ever clear the smoke and it wouldn't run good after a while as you describe - it would be the same all the time / every time.
So as suggested - it can be a gummed ( or more than one ) piston / ring - oil control rings..
It can also be the wrong oil yes - these modern engines are very susceptible to wrong oil use - so do check on that.
Too - it can be clogged / restricted engine breather system..so that needs to be checked also.
Using that amount of oil it won't be valve seals - not unless they are ALL completely shot and the valves themselves are loose in worn valve guides - I can't really see that.
In any case- the place to start is with the simple things first as you will know - and that is with the checking the correct grade oil is used - then the breather system..
Only after such checks would one start to dig into the engine - as you know, the next step would be the head off - so you need to check those other things first...and progress as you find / need -
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.