Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

We have a Volvo v50 2.4i gear tronic 2004 model auto. When

Customer Question

We have a Volvo v50 2.4i gear tronic 2004 model auto. When you drive the vehicle, occasionally it will slip/jolt when you are slowing down towards 2nd gear and slip/jolt pulling away again , if you are in traffic and you select neutral, then select drive to pull away, it will also slip/jolt whilst going through the gears. We have changed the gearbox oil but still experience these niggles. Have only just bought the car and the last owner had it for 10 years. It has a full Volvo service history.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
hello replacing the oil is the 1st step and if that hasn't helped then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind upif this is OK then its likely that the next step is to remove the sump pan and clean out the filter screen
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.