Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

I have a 2000 Classic model V70R awd (2.4 VERSION) with

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2000 Classic model V70R awd (2.4 VERSION) with the AW55-50 5 speed auto.
The AWD transfeer box was removed due to a failure approx 3 years ago along with the propshaft.
The gearbox has failed and I was wondering if I could fit an AW55-50 gearbox from a different model. (IE a C70).
Is there any difference between the AWD and FWD version of the gearbox or is it just a case of putting the transfer box back onto an FWD gearbox to make it awd.
Also is there any issue with putting in a newer box (IE a 2002 gearbox into a 2000 model car)
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 2 years ago.
You must use same trans part number if you use other numbers it can work but check engine light will be on when it runs self test code for incorrect gear ratio will come on . You can buy used angle gear and used shaft to fix problem you have Awd and Fwd mounting bolts are not same for angle gear
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, can the gearbox not be mated to the car ecu by downloading the software?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If the replacement was from a 2.4 petrol would the gear ratios be the same?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand that I would have to put the gearbox into training mode to set it up.
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
Problem you can't change software volvo will not alow software change it will see vin numbers and only matching software for they car can be installed