Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

My wife has a V40 S 1.8 petrol estate which I believe to be

Customer Question

My wife has a V40 S 1.8 petrol estate which I believe to be 10-12years old.It has been a very good reliable car which she has had from almost new. Couple of weeks ago, without warning, car would not start in the morning and Homestart engineer diagnosed a flat battery. Managed to get car to local general garage who replaced the battery and my wife collected the car. On driving home she went to turn right when the engine stalled just as a large vehicle was bearing down toads her. Fortunately the driver could see she was in difficulties and pulled over and stopped. Car returned to garage where test ghve been carried lout for the last 10days or more. Heard from garage yesterday nothing they can do, took carve to volvo garage-they said the same -idling problems not uncommon on this car - although we have never had such problems before now.Apparently it will costs a lot of money to strip car down and try and find fault and then remedy it. Car has ben looked after well for the last 10-12 years, serviced and maintained regularly and no such problem has been experienced before. Is the vehicle really a "write off" ? Can you help - what do you advise.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help - advise.
First - can you tell me anyone has done a diagnostic on it - and if any fault codes have been obtained out of it - and if so - what they are ??
Too - will the car actually start and run - ? Is the issue that it runs - but keeps stalling?
When running - are there any fault lights on the dash at all?
Just prior to all this occurring - had your wife recently filled the car with fuel / re fulled at all?
Rgds - MIKE.....................